San Antonio Conservation Position Statements to HDRC

September 5, 2018

We applaud the Sisters at the Healy Murphy Center for helping to preserve one of the last Victorian houses in the 200 block of Nolan Street. Although the house stands on a lot that will become part of a new child development center, it will not be demolished. An interested party plans to move the former home of blacksmith Ferdinand Urban to the Dignowity Hill Historic District.

We joined Office of Historic Preservation staff in supporting a finding of historic significance for the house.  We also encouraged moving as a preservation option. The Historic and Design Review Commission (HDRC) approved both actions.

Additions to an 1895 farmhouse at the Crenwelge-Braun Farm Complex, and to a Victorian house on Pine Street, also warranted statements.  We expressed concern over a proposed side addition to the farmhouse. We also questioned the modern style of the windows chosen for Pine Street.  HDRC approved the Braun project with several modifications.  These included a requirement that the addition be placed at the rear of the original house.  The commission also approved the Pine Street renovations after the applicant explained the design elements more fully.

This image is copyrighted.