A Historical View of the San Antonio Missions
Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo

On February 23, 1720, Father Antonio Margil (pronounced Mar–heel) founded Mission San José, just two years after the founding of Mission San Antonio de Valero (known as the "Alamo").

About this Image:
1) This view shows the front (west) and south facades of the church at Mission San Jose. The famous Rose Window is located midway along the south façade, with the arcaded wall of the cloister visible to its right.

2) Looking at the front (west façade) of the recently restored church at Mission San José. The living quarters for the indigenous inhabitants can be seen at the left. Photo taken by Ron Bauml.

3) Drawing showing the grounds of Mission San José and the floor plan of its church. Drawing is taken from San Antonio de Bexar by William Corner, published in 1890.

To Learn More:
Courtesy of the San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation.
Click to Enlarge
2) 20152) 2015
3) Plan of San Jose Mission, c. 18903) Plan of San Jose Mission, c. 1890