A Historical View of the San Antonio Missions
The convento wing had several rooms opening onto the cloister, or covered walkway. One of these rooms served as a library and office. A striking painting, which had been referred to as "The Eye of God" for many years, decorated the ceiling.

We can no longer say that this painting represents the "Eye of God," for it is not just an eye, but an entire face with two eyes, a nose, a mouth, a mustache and a goatee! This new information came to light in July 1989, when Los Compadres, the fundraising group for the missions, paid for conservancy treatment of the wall art at the missions. There is still no information about whom this painting represents, or who the artist was. Speculation as to the identity of the "face" ranges from a saint to the viceroy. The artist may have been one of the mission residents.

About this Image:
1) A friar leans against one of the arches in the cloister. This covered walkway was built parallel to the store room, living room, and library of the convento. The wall of this structure can be seen on the left.

2–4) Remnants of the paintings found stenciled on the walls and ceiling of the library. The face depicted in the second image was thought to be the "Eye of God." Photos taken by Gordon Shults.

To Learn More:
Courtesy of the San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation.
Click to Enlarge
c. 1921c. 1921
2) 20002) 2000
3) 20003) 2000
4) 20004) 2000