A Historical View of the San Antonio Missions
The physical layout of Mission San Juan followed the established plan for the Spanish missions, with a rectangular plaza enclosed by native stone walls. Inside the compound stood the standard mission structures: church, convento for the priests to live in, granary, dwellings for the indigenous population, and various workshops for weaving, carpentry, blacksmithing, etc.

A temporary structure for worship was built. Construction of a permanent church, begun in 1760, was never finished. The foundation walls of the planned church still stand on the opposite side of the compound from the little church of today.

About this Image:
1) The convento, or priests' living quarters, located to the south of the present chapel. Photo taken by Gordon Shults.

2) These buildings, which lay in ruins by the 1890s, were later reconstructed to house the parish priests. Photo taken by Gordon Shults.

3) The ruins of the original church, begun in 1759, can be seen at the right. The 19th century house to the left remains from the post–colonial period, when private homes were built on the mission grounds. Photo taken by Gordon Shults.

4) Drawing showing the grounds of Mission San Juan and the plan of its church. Drawing is taken from San Antonio de Bexar by William Corner, published in 1890.

To Learn More:
Courtesy of the San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation.
Click to Enlarge
2) 20002) 2000
3) 20003) 2000
4) Plan of Mission San Juan, c. 18904) Plan of Mission San Juan, c. 1890