A Historical View of the San Antonio Missions
Worship services took place in a temporary structure, while the permanent church was being built. This church, begun in 1740, was dedicated on December 8, 1755. Early church inspection records describe it in detail as a cruciform building of stone and mortar, having a vaulted roof with a cupola (raised dome), and two similar towers topped by crosses of iron. This was the only mission church in this area to have twin bell towers.

About this Image:
1) A view showing the front (west) and south facade of Mission Concepción church. The ruined west wall of the L-shaped convento is visible at right behind a fence made from tree branches. The intact dome of the church can be seen at center.

2) Besides the lantern on top of the dome and the twin bell towers, this church is distinguished by the pointed merlons that top its walls. This view is of the north façade. Photo taken by Arthur. W. Stewart, HABS, Library of Congress.

3) A view looking up at the bell towers of the church from behind the east wall of the convento.

To Learn More:
Courtesy of the San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation.
Click to Enlarge
2) 19362) 1936
3) N.d.3) N.d.