A Photographic Guide to the Many Faces of Alamo Plaza
In 1888, the Joske brothers built a larger store on the northeast corner of Alamo and Commerce Streets. The ornate, two-story red-brick building was designed by Alfred Giles and Henri Guindon. It became known as "The Big Store," with a staff that grew from three to thirty-five people. The pace of progress on the plaza had increased as well, reflected by the network of overhead wires needed for electricity, telephone service, and the streetcar system ("The Enjoyable Joske Story").

About this Image:
Looking northeast at Joske's new store on the corner of Alamo and E. Commerce St. The floridly Victorian building alternated courses of red brick and white stone and featured eye-catching, urn-shaped finials on the roof. The incomplete tower of St. Joseph's Catholic Church can be seen at the far right.

To Learn More:
Courtesy of San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation
Click to Enlarge
c. 1884c. 1884
Site MapSite Map