A Photographic Guide to the Many Faces of Alamo Plaza
Renowned architect Alfred Giles (1853-1920) grew up and learned his craft in England (George, 1). He moved to San Antonio in the 1870s, when poor health drew him to the health resorts connected to the local springs (Ibid, 2). After working with builder John H. Kampmann to learn about the local climate and materials, he established his own firm in 1876 (Ibid).

Giles' timing was fortuitous. The arrival of the railroad in 1877 brought new building materials and ideas to San Antonio, as well as the demand for them. He designed the Crockett Block for William and Albert Maverick, who had inherited land across from the Alamo from their father, Samuel. Giles designed more than 19 buildings for the Maverick family (Jutson, 2-6).

About this Image:
Copy of one half of a stereographic view of the Crockett Block located on the west side of Alamo Plaza, north of Crocket Street. An ice wagon, perhaps making a delivery to the Alamo Café, stands in front.

To Learn More:
Courtesy of San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation
Click to Enlarge