A Photographic Guide to the Many Faces of Alamo Plaza
William "Billy" Reuter (1844-1897) emigrated from Hanover, Germany at the age of 23. He arrived in San Antonio in 1874 and worked as a bartender at the Scholz Palm Garden on Alamo Plaza. He and his brother, George, later co-owned the Two Brother's Saloon in the Dullnig Building.

In 1891, Reuter moved into his own four-story building at the corner of Alamo and Crockett Streets, a few steps away from the popular Grand Opera House. "Billy's Barroom," or "Reuter's Saloon" occupied the first floor. Business proved so profitable that Reuter paid for a bandstand to be erected on Alamo Plaza in 1893 and sometimes sponsored band concerts. He died suddenly in 1897 and was buried in City Cemetery No. 1 ("Alamo City's Reuter Building").

About this Image:
The original of this portrait was donated in 1978 by Reuter's granddaughter, Mrs. Charlotte Reuter Dodson, to hang in the restored Reuter Building.

Courtesy of San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation
Click to Enlarge