June 10, 2018
With the unveiling of the draft of the Alamo Interpretive Plan, we find ourselves going back on the record to defend:
- The preservation of the Crockett Block, Palace Theater, and Woolworth Building for reuse as a museum.
- An interpretation that embraces the continuum of history from the establishment of Mission San Antonio de Valero (part of the Missions World Heritage designation) to the plaza’s post-battle development into the heart of late-19th and early-20th century San Antonio.
- Keeping the Alamo Cenotaph where it is.
- Maintaining the Battle of Flowers parade route through Alamo Plaza; a San Antonio tradition since 1891.
- Accessibility to the plaza as a civic space for local residents, not a State park for visitors.
Everyone has the opportunity to make their voices heard at the Alamo Public Meetings scheduled for June 18 – 21, 2018.