A Photographic Guide to the Many Faces of Alamo Plaza
Opened in 1859, the Menger Hotel was originally a two-story limestone building designed by John Fries, with John H. Kampmann acting as contractor. The hotel became an elegant oasis for travelers in what was still a rough, frontier settlement (Williams, 8). It also provided a catalyst for the development of Alamo Plaza. As the San Antonio Herald observed, "Nothing does so much to attract business as a good hotel...a building of commanding appearance and one provided with most comfortable rooms and plenty of fresh air"("Opening of the Menger Hotel").

About this Image:
Copy print showing the west (front) and south facades of the original Menger Hotel. A horse drawn carriage stands in front of the Alamo Street entrance. Blum Street intersects to the south (at right).

Prior to the arrival of the railroad, the Mengers maintained a wagon yard on Blum to accommodate the numerous stagecoaches, carriages, wagons, & horses bringing patrons to their doors (Carter, 201).

To Learn More:
Courtesy of the San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation, Raba Collection.
Click to Enlarge
c. 1859-1886c. 1859-1886
Site MapSite Map